Monday, February 1, 2010

A New Begining

I wanted to post this entry earlier…when everyone is busy blogging about their New Year and stuff. But for me, New Year starts TODAY – Feb 1st, 2010.

Why? Because today, I am going to leave behind all the sucky experience I had in the past year, and take on a new challenge in life.

Today, I’m starting a new job in a non WPP agency.

Today, I am no longer in account management.

Today onwards, I will be in planning instead *smile*

Hell, it is nerve wrecking to know that I am already 3 years into advertising, and taking a new role in planning without any experience whatsoever IS a high risk if it does not turn out well. It’s going to be really tough, adding to the fact that it’s a 2-man show (my boss and me) … but I am optimistic. I know I can do it if I strive hard enough.

2010 is going to be a good year, I’m positive =)

But that doesn’t make my 2009 a horrible year either. It has however, been a roller coaster ride for me. My first quarter of 2009 was definitely the highlight.

I was promoted to be a Jr. Events Manager after 4 months in Nasty Inc. Although I complain and whine a lot about sharing my workplace with 12 stinky dogs, I truly enjoyed it. (and it pays well too) I had a boss who supports me – the type that you can call when you’re pissed drunk in some night club and she will come in no time to bring you home.

I can proudly say that I helped organized the coolest parties in the Hitz world in Penang and KL.


......and also launched the most talked about technology in Malaysia at that time. MNP – in which Maxis won over DiGi by miles. Roving in huge trucks really helped with acquisition, and within few months, Maxis market share larger than ever.Then there was the iphone launch in Malaysia

The clients may not be the easiest to work with, but they show their appreciation and that is what counts

Other highlights in 2009 includes;

In April, I went to Jogjakarta and Bali together with Kuan Mei, Kean Shiong, Simpson and Livan….


In Bali, I finally bungy jumped - the legal way.
(The one in Phuket doesn’t count because it’s not certified)

The wedding bells were ringing in 2009 too. First in line was Darshini & Nick! They are like the cutest couple ever. Nick was soo lost in the wedding, and Darshini stole the limelight cos she was just soooooo pretty!!

The other wedding that brought tears to my eyes were Kuan Mei & Melvin’s wedding, mainly because I was there throughout their courtship, through engagement and now, marriage. They have always been someone I could always count on too.

Life has been good…for the first 3 quarter at least. But me being human, nothing is ever enough. Grass is always greener on the other side. So I decided to leave events and go back into agency life with Grey. That was my excuse at least. But the truth is I felt like every single minute of my life was being sucked out because I had no time for friends and family, went through a few bad patch when it came to relationship, and every day I just worked and worked and worked. That is all there is for me… I desperately wanted my life back.

I took on Grey because it was an awesome portfolio. I learnt a lot from there but as time goes, I realized that the account management team was very weak and I couldn’t progress further, but I was determined to stay till at least the end of the mega launch this August. I wasn’t determined enough obviously! =p

When my spirits was weak, I got a FB message from my first agency Strategic Planner. He asked if I would like to explore being a Strat planner. To be honest, it has never crossed my mind. He interviewed me over a bottle of beer @ Bangsar and walla, I was offered the job. So, I left Grey after 8 months, and joined Publicis under the leadership of Chats – my direct boss and mentor…and here I am today! =)

Today, I have my beloved friends and family supporting me, my fortnightly lepak session with my hommies, my 4 legged friend behaving well, my own laptop to work with, not to mention under the guidance of a a world renowned boss - no experience, no idea what is in store for her, but just as determined and excited……writing another chapter of my life.

Oh did I mentioned along the way, I found a funny man to call a bf *winks*

No comments:

Post a Comment